Saturday 26 January 2013

Filipino style coconut macaroons

It's long weekend here again for the annual celebration of the Auckland anniversary.  Bug came back Friday night from a field work just in time for the long weekend celebration. Woohoo!!!

We started our weekend on Saturday morning by attending our ante natal classes.  We had breakfast at Starbucks then off we went for our 9.30 am ante-natal class.  This session is the first of four so three more sessions to go.  It was really informative and will help first time moms to have an idea of what we will be going through.  I'm on my 31st week and have 9 more weeks to go so it's good to have information that makes me realise that all I feel is normal! no dramas!

After the 3 hour ante-natal session Bug and I headed to the International Food Court in Sunnynook.  As usual we had our deep fried snapper with 2 rice.  Bug told me to order something else because he though it would not be enough for us. I ordered two chicken satay from the Korean place and it was yummy as well.

We initially planned of attending open homes but we were late on the ones we wanted to see.  Instead of attending open homes, we ended up looking for baby capsules, prams and other baby products.  We visited Baby factory and Baby on the move but they do not have a lot of choices for the capsules and prams so we ended up empty handed.  I was able to purchase some baby bathing products from Baby Factory under the Mustella brand. I heard these products are good so hopefully the bub does not get any allergy. I hope bub's skin is clear. I always have this frustrations on how my skin is not clear but hopping that bub's will be better than mine. We were also able to purchase baby wipes. These were on special at 3 for $5 so I purchased them.

At 3.30 we were home. I did some cleaning and then baked a Filipino style macaroons.  My friend from the office, C, gave me this uber easy recipe below:

Ingredients:
1 200 grams pack of dessicated coconut
1 250 ml pack of sweetened condensed milk
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup of light brown sugar (for me this is optional as the sweetness from the milk is enough)
1/2 tsp of lemon rind or a few drops of lemon extract
48 pieces of small paper cups (this recipe will make 48 mini cupcakes)

Procedure:
In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs.  Add the rest of the ingredients and beat until well blended.
Arrange the paper cup on a shallow baking tray.
Fill each paper cup with the coconut batter until 3/4 full.
Bake at 180 degrees C for 20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
Cool for ten minutes before serving. It can also be eaten straight but be careful -they are hot!

Photos:
Mixing the coconut butter

Coconut batter on the molds

Finished product - Filipino style macaroons




No comments:

Post a Comment